Adhesive, adhesive, adhesive! Oh how I love the stickiness of you! 🙂
Adhesives seem to be the bane or glory of every scrapbooker out there, especially if you are using your Cricut machine. Sometimes it’s hard to decide on what adhesive to use and when, why, how, all of the above!
I would like to say I can help you take away all your worries and troubles with adhesives, but that would be slightly unrealistic! Each situation, each cut, calls for something different it seems. So what I can do for you is give you my 5 top favs on adhesives and give you the reasons why. You can do what you like with those reasons and the tips for making them work for you.
I see many O’ Questions on what adhesives to use with your Cricut cut outs and I receive at least 2 emails a day asking what adhesives I use, so that is why I decided to do this post next. I love adhesives and playing with different types, I like learning about new things and re-visiting some “oldies but goodies”….
If anyone knows of any other adhesives that I should try, tell me about them, I would LOVE to hear it!
Let’s just get to the favorites!
Five Favorite Adhesives for my Cricut, Scrapbooking and Cardmaking!
- ZIG Squeeze and Roll Two-Way Glue Pen – I have seen many comments and concerns and questions about the Zig, but it is by far my favorite! I have four different sizes and tip types on my ZIGS, but my favorite is the Squeeze and Roll Pen. It allows me to squeeze out and have precision control of where my glue goes. It has very low mess and it gives me great flexibility in use. If you are unfamiliar with a two-way glue pen, it works simply like this, when you apply the glue to your surface it comes out blue, and when you adhere it to your project while it is still blue, it is a permanent bond. If you wait until it dries clear or “white” it is a temporary repositionable bond, great for making cutting mats sticky again,and other things. The “complaints” have been that the glue dries to fast to be “clear” before you get to the end of your cut out and then it’s only temporary hold. I like to beg to differ especially if you are using the Squeeze and Roll! It comes out perfect and you should have PLENTY of time for it to stay blue while you finish all corners of your images! 🙂
- ATG 700 – My yellow ATG 700 is the BOMB diggity! Adhesive applicator or “gun” for a two sided adhesive tape…You can check it out in many of my videos 🙂 I have an ATG 700 which is the yellow “gun”. Many crafters use the ATG 714 which holds 1/4″ tape. Let me explain why I use the 700 🙂 I started using the 700 simply because of the price of under $30 that I paid for the gun at a local framing store that I purchased it from. But, why I love it so much now, is because I have the flexibility with a simple adapter that came with my gun to use three different sizes of tape. It is SO awesome!!! The tape inside there lasts FOREVER on top of being SUPER sticky and permanent, I can feel assured knowing my pictures, embellishments, etc… aren’t moving from where I put it for a LOONNNG time! With my ATG 714 I keep the 3/4″ tape inside, I love it for almost everything, except for small intricate cuts, but then I use my ZIG for those anyway!
- Xyron 2.5″ Sticker Maker – Woot Woot for the Xyron that I use ALL the time with my intricate or “thin” Cricut Cuts. Things that are just too detailed for me to want to take the time to individually glue, like small words, letters, phrases or silhouettes. I love the 2.5″ maker size, I feel like anything bigger I use my ATG or mono-adhesive glue runner on. Anything smaller I use my zig or the size is just fine in there 🙂 You simply place your cut out or paper in the front opening turn the crank and out pops your “stickered” image. It is SO much FUN!!! “Complaint” to it, sometimes it leaves extra glue “boogers”…while that can be true, I don’t find it to be a lot or overly annoying. To rectify that situation, just use a WHITE pencil eraser over the edges of the image you made a sticker and it pulls the “boogies” right off. (and YES, in case you where wondering, BOOGIES are the technical term for the access glue 😉 😉 lol!) In all seriousness though, I have never found there to be an over-abundance of glue on any image no matter the size that would ever make me turn from my Xyron, it’s purple, it’s helpful and it is sticky! I <3 it! 🙂
- Pop Dots – Whatever your brand of choice, Pop Dots, Dimensionals, 3D Foam Dots, Zots, etc… POP UP YOUR IMAGES!!! I LOVE them! You can get a variety of sizes and shapes for Pop dots and I’ve tried a gamut!! You can get them in dollar store bins and then pay as much as $6.00 per pack! I will tell you that my favs to use are the actual “Pop Dots” from the All Night Media or Plaid Company, I really like their size and thickness, they stay on well and I just enjoy them for the price. I also use a lot from Target, they are really reasonable and multiple sizes come in one pack, I’ve been told to “watch out” that they loose their stick, but I’ve had them in my albums for over two years and have not yet had any loosing stick problems. I like to be fair and tell you about that, but it has never been my experience with them. 🙂
- Adtech Glue Runner – I must sound like a serious nay-sayer to many people because I have seen more than several comments of people hating this glue. I don’t know if it’s the climate in my house, or the way I keep things, but I LOVE the Adtech Glue Runner from Walmart! This is the glue runner I started with years and years ago when I first started scrapbooking, between this glue runner and photo splits, I was a happy scrapper! 🙂 It is so inexpensive and the permanent bond has thus far (at least the past 5 years) has been permanent for me! 🙂 I have heard peoples complaints of it not holding up, so again, to be honest with you I will tell you about that, but I truly can say for the less than $2.00 refils, I have always been happy with it! My favs! 🙂
So please, do share with me your favs! I will mention to you that I have been using several other adhesives more often lately than I used to, I may make more mention of them later, but don’t be surprised when my top 5’s turn into top 10s! I just love so much!!! 🙂 Can I mention it now, Stick and Spray by Crafter’s Companion, Glue Dot Stamper by Elmer’s and Zip Dry Glue all creeping up on my lists, but not enough to take over 🙂
(*just an FYI side note here – these are all just the opinions of Above Rubies Studio, non of these products was I in anyway paid to review or plug, I just love sharing my thoughts and getting yours here on this blog! Have an awesome day!*)